European stocks rebound as oil, travel stocks jump
(For a Reuters live blog on U.S., UK and European stock markets, click LIVE/ or type LIVE/ in a news window)
Jan 12 (Reuters) - European stocks steadied on Tuesday after declining in the last session, as investors looked to the upcoming earnings season and focused on the prospect of larger U.S. stimulus under incoming president Joe Biden.
The pan regional STOXX 600 index .STOXX rose 0.4% by 0811 GMT, with the oil & gas .SXEP and travel & leisure .SXTP sectors climbing more than 1% each to lead the gains.
Investors booked profits on Monday following last week's rally after a Democrat sweep in the U.S. Senate elections raised expectations of larger U.S. fiscal stimulus.
Oil majors BP BP.L , Royal Dutch Shell RDSa.L and Total TOTF.PA gained as crude prices rebounded on expectations of a drawdown in U.S. crude oil stockpile. O/R
Danish shipping company Maersk MAERSKb.CO rose 2.8% after brokerage Berenberg upgraded the stock to "buy", saying earnings momentum driven by freight prices could see the stock run higher. online gaming company Kindred KINDsdb.ST jumped 5% after it reported strong business momentum through the fourth quarter, while Renault SA RENA.PA rose 1.5% after the French automaker said its started 2021 with a higher level of orders than in 2019.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or