Coin Edition -
- PeckShield Alert tweeted that the US government is behind the first-largest Bitcoin wallet.
- The wallet holds over $2.46 billion worth of Bitcoin, linked to the 2016 Bitfinex attack.
- The third-largest Bitcoin wallet is held by an investment platform Robinhood (NASDAQ: HOOD ).
The US SEC is infamous for cracking down on major crypto exchanges including Binance and Coinbase (NASDAQ: COIN ), as well as fighting a three years-long lawsuit against Ripple , which has cost the company $200 million. However, crypto analytics platform PeckShield Alert’s investigation suggested that the US government might own the world’s fifth-largest Bitcoin wallet.
#PeckShieldAlert The 5th largest #Bitcoin wallet, holding 94,643 $BTC (worth ~$2.46B currently), is believed to be under the control of the U.S. Government. The seizure address is directly linked to the 2016 #Bitfinex Hack. On February 1st, 2022, 1CGA4s transferred ~567.5 $BTC… pic.twitter.com/J7ai1vVruK
— PeckShieldAlert (@PeckShieldAlert) August 29, 2023
According to PeckShield, the fifth-largest BTC wallet holding 94,643 BTC worth nearly $2.46 billion, is directly connected to the Bitfinex Hack in 2016. Moreover, 567.5 BTC, worth about $21.88 million, was moved to the seizure address by 1CGA4s, on February 1, 2022.
The fifth-largest BTC wallet owned by US Govt. by PeckShield
In February 2022, PeckShield tweeted that the Department of Justice (DOJ) assumed control over the account 1CGA4srJbPWhtJb7ezgY6GQf4PKhFuzD9w and has confiscated $3.55 billion worth of Bitcoin associated with the Bitfinex hack. The DOJ’s account for this matter is bc1qazcm763858nkj2dj986etajv6wquslv8uxwczt. Approximately 120,000 Bitcoins were unlawfully taken in 2017, originally valued at $75 million, and now, six years later, their worth has surged to $3.6 billion.
Forbes published a report in June that highlighted the US Treasury holding 207,189 BTC valued at $5 billion, “by far the largest such state-owned hoard.” Additionally, Morgan Creek Capital investment advisor, Sachin Jaitly’s doctorial thesis revealed that the US owned 69,640 BTC, “94% of the bitcoin in global government coffers at the time.”
Meanwhile, wallet data from Arkham Intelligence disclosed that the trading platform Robinhood holds over $3 billion BTC collected in a single wallet gained over a number of months.
The post Fifth-Largest Bitcoin Wallet holding $2.46B Owned Is by US Government appeared first on Coin Edition.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.