Finland's Gasum says tribunal ruled it does not have to pay Gazprom in roubles
HELSINKI (Reuters) - Finnish energy provider Gasum said on Wednesday an arbitral tribunal had ruled it was not obligated to pay Russian gas supplier Gazprom (MCX: GAZP ) in roubles.
Gasum in May took Gazprom to arbitration after the Russian group had demanded that Gasum paid in roubles for gas after Europe imposed sanctions on Moscow over Russia's invasion of Ukraine.
Gazprom shortly after stopped natural gas flows to Finland.
"According to the award, Gasum is not obligated to pay in roubles nor through the proposed payment procedure," Gasum said in a statement on Wednesday.
Gasum, which has a long-term natural gas supply contract with Gazprom, said the arbitral tribunal also mandated the two companies to continue negotiations over the dispute.
Gazprom was not immediately available for comment when contacted by Reuters.
(This story has been corrected to change description of Gasum to "energy provider" from "gas grid operator")
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or