* Graphic: World FX rates https://tmsnrt.rs/2RBWI5E
By Saikat Chatterjee
LONDON, Jan 26 (Reuters) - The dollar climbed to a one-week high against its rivals on Tuesday as doubts over the speed and size of U.S. stimulus discouraged risk-taking ahead of this week's Federal Reserve policy meeting.
Early London trading had a broadly cautious tone, with currencies including the Australian dollar and the euro under selling pressure.
The single currency was further weighed down by early signals that the economy may not rebound as strongly this year as predicted. Germany's Ifo business climate indicator undershot expectations on Monday and an economic surprise index in Europe .CESIEUR is hovering near six-week lows.
"The U.S. economy is probably somewhat stronger than some of the other major economies," said John Vail, chief global strategist at Nikko Asset Management in Tokyo.
"People will start to think the United States will settle down, which in theory could be dollar-supportive."
Against a basket of its rivals =USD , the dollar rose 0.2% to 90.65, its highest level since Jan. 20. It has strengthened 1.6% in three weeks thanks to rising U.S. Treasury yields, after a 6% drop between September and January.
U.S. Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer said Democrats may try to pass much of President Joe Biden's $1.9 trillion spending package with a majority vote, but it is not clear if they have the numbers to override Republican objections. if any changes are expected to the Fed's policy statement on Wednesday after its two-day meeting and no new economic forecasts are scheduled to be released. dollar's bounce overnight has also been aided by some unwinding of large short bets. Short dollar positions 0#NETUSDFX= had hit their highest in almost 10 years, data last week showed.
The euro EUR=EBS , which fell on Monday after the Ifo survey showed German business morale slumping, is also trading in a range between support around $1.2050 and resistance at $1.2215. It slipped 0.2% to $1.2126.
Tight liquidity supported the Chinese yuan. One-year onshore yuan forwards CNY1Y=CFXS rose to their highest levels of 2021, while the onshore spot price CNY= edged up 0.1% to 6.4733. CNY/
<^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ World FX rates
https://tmsnrt.rs/2RBWI5E FX market positions
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.