(For a Reuters live blog on U.S., UK and European stock markets, click LIVE/ or type LIVE/ in a news window)
* FTSE 100 up 0.2%, FTSE 250 adds 0.6%
April 22 (Reuters) - London's FTSE 100 edged higher on Thursday, boosted by mining and industrials stocks, although the gains were capped by a fall in heavyweight energy stocks and a stronger pound.
However, large dollar-earning companies, including Unilever ULVR.L and British American Tobacco (JO: SNHJ ) BATS.L , slipped on a slightly stronger pound. Oil and gas stocks .FTNMX601010 fell 0.5%, tracking lower crude prices. GBP= O/R
The domestically focussed mid-cap FTSE 250 index .FTMC added 0.6%.
Rentokil Initial RTO.L declined 3.2% after saying demand for its disinfection services, which helped first-quarter sales grow, is expected to unwind in the year.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.