Gold production in South Africa was similar to the first half of the 2021 calendar year.
This is the right period for comparison as the Mponeng asset was in operation throughout 2021, but for only part of the corresponding six-month period in 2020. Rand per kilogram cost guidance of R765,000/kg - R800,000/kg is in line with original guidance.
The story in the Hidden Valley operation in Papua New Guinea is less enjoyable to read, with a 26% decrease in production due to geotechnical issues. To make it worse, 6kms of overland conveyor belt was damaged in January 2022 and will be replaced, so the full year impact on production will be significant.
Due to a nasty downward revision in production guidance, the group all-in sustaining cost per kilogram has been revised upwards by more than 5%.
Full results will be released on 28 February.
The share price fell 2.6% in response to the news, taking the 12-month drop to over 10%. Harmony really hasn't lived up to its beautiful name for shareholders unless you bought around 3 years ago, in which case you are up around 150%.I hold Harmony in my gold portfolio (along with a few others). I'm sad to report that I wasn't one of the fortunate punters who bought at the right time.
Disclaimer: the author holds shares in Harmony
Follow @Finance Ghost
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Its really been dissapointing the share priceLike 1