The biggest gainers of the session on the Nifty 50 were Eicher Motors Ltd. (NS: EICH ), which rose 4.22% or 100.50 points to trade at 2,480.50 at the close. Adani Ports and Special Economic Zone Ltd (NS: APSE ) added 3.39% or 24.95 points to end at 761.95 and JSW Steel Ltd (NS: JSTL ) was up 3.26% or 23.80 points to 753.90 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Hero MotoCorp Ltd (NS: HROM ), which lost 7.04% or 167.30 points to trade at 2,210.65 in late trade. Oil And Natural Gas Corporation Ltd (NS: ONGC ) declined 3.03% or 5.35 points to end at 171.00 and Coal India Ltd (NS: COAL ) shed 2.75% or 5.25 points to 186.00.
The top performers on the BSE Sensex 30 were Housing Development Finance Corporation Ltd (BO: HDFC ) which rose 3.06% to 2,337.20, Bharti Airtel Ltd (BO: BRTI ) which was up 2.89% to settle at 754.55 and UltraTech Cement Ltd (BO: ULTC ) which gained 2.70% to close at 6,527.25.
The worst performers were ITC Ltd (BO: ITC ) which was down 0.99% to 254.65 in late trade, IndusInd Bank Ltd. (BO: INBK ) which lost 0.59% to settle at 929.45 and Maruti Suzuki India Ltd. (BO: MRTI ) which was down 0.52% to 7,437.90 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1116 to 726 and 22 ended unchanged; on the Bombay Stock Exchange, 1942 fell and 1358 advanced, while 104 ended unchanged on the India National Stock Exchange.
The India VIX , which measures the implied volatility of Nifty 50 options, was down 5.78% to 21.30 a new 1-month low.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was down 1.37% or 26.65 to $1,913.15 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in May rose 0.93% or 0.99 to hit $106.95 a barrel, while the June Brent oil contract rose 1.29% or 1.41 to trade at $110.90 a barrel.
USD/INR was down 0.07% to 75.97, while EUR/INR rose 0.61% to 84.03.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.38% at 98.68.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.