India shares higher at close of trade; Nifty 50 up 0.73%
Investing.com – India equities were higher at the close on Thursday, as gains in the Metals , Auto and IT sectors propelled shares higher.
At the close in NSE, the Nifty 50 added 0.73%, while the BSE Sensex 30 index climbed 0.56%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Nifty 50 were Hindalco Industries Ltd. (NS: HALC ), which rose 5.13% or 18.85 points to trade at 385.95 at the close. Hero MotoCorp Ltd (NS: HROM ) added 4.49% or 125.10 points to end at 2913.30 and Wipro Ltd (NS: WIPR ) was up 4.42% or 21.70 points to 512.30 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Power Grid Corporation of India Ltd (NS: PGRD ), which lost 1.28% or 2.80 points to trade at 215.40 in late trade. UPL Ltd (NS: UPLL ) declined 1.20% or 7.70 points to end at 633.00 and Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. (NS: SUN ) shed 0.83% or 5.70 points to 677.70.
The top performers on the BSE Sensex 30 were Bajaj Auto Ltd (BO: BAJA ) which rose 2.61% to 3943.80, Housing Development Finance Corporation Ltd (BO: HDFC ) which was up 2.20% to settle at 2430.55 and Tech Mahindra Ltd (BO: TEML ) which gained 1.67% to close at 977.75.
The worst performers were Power Grid Corporation of India Ltd (BO: PGRD ) which was down 1.24% to 215.40 in late trade, Oil And Natural Gas Corporation Ltd (BO: ONGC ) which lost 0.86% to settle at 110.10 and Asian Paints Ltd. (BO: ASPN ) which was down 0.73% to 2548.85 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 905 to 731 and 75 ended unchanged; on the Bombay Stock Exchange, 1570 rose and 1318 declined, while 117 ended unchanged on the India National Stock Exchange.
The India VIX , which measures the implied volatility of Nifty 50 options, was up 0.33% to 22.0350.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was up 0.41% or 7.25 to $1791.55 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in June fell 0.43% or 0.28 to hit $65.35 a barrel, while the July Brent oil contract fell 0.35% or 0.24 to trade at $68.72 a barrel.
USD/INR was down 0.08% to 73.742, while EUR/INR rose 0.26% to 88.8290.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.31% at 91.013.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or