India shares higher at close of trade; Nifty 50 up 1.18%
Investing.com – India equities were higher at the close on Friday, as gains in the Public Sector Undertakings , Power and Oil & Gas sectors propelled shares higher.
At the close in NSE, the Nifty 50 added 1.18% to hit a new 1-month high, while the BSE Sensex 30 index climbed 1.21%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Nifty 50 were NTPC Ltd (NS: NTPC ), which rose 5.78% or 7.80 points to trade at 142.80 at the close. Bharat Petroleum Corp. Ltd. (NS: BPCL ) added 4.19% or 15.05 points to end at 374.40 and Power Grid Corporation of India Ltd (NS: PGRD ) was up 3.81% or 8.25 points to 225.05 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Hero MotoCorp Ltd (NS: HROM ), which lost 2.35% or 54.00 points to trade at 2,240.15 in late trade. Tech Mahindra Ltd (NS: TEML ) declined 0.82% or 12.35 points to end at 1,487.10 and Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. (NS: SUN ) shed 0.66% or 6.05 points to 908.70.
The top performers on the BSE Sensex 30 were NTPC Ltd (BO: NTPC ) which rose 5.93% to 142.95, Power Grid Corporation of India Ltd (BO: PGRD ) which was up 3.74% to settle at 224.95 and IndusInd Bank Ltd. (BO: INBK ) which gained 3.20% to close at 965.00.
The worst performers were Tech Mahindra Ltd (BO: TEML ) which was down 0.80% to 1,487.35 in late trade, Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. (BO: SUN ) which lost 0.72% to settle at 908.25 and Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories Ltd (BO: REDY ) which was down 0.59% to 4,280.05 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1581 to 252 and 19 ended unchanged; on the Bombay Stock Exchange, 2632 rose and 647 declined, while 101 ended unchanged on the India National Stock Exchange.
The India VIX , which measures the implied volatility of Nifty 50 options, was down 10.34% to 18.43 a new 1-month low.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was down 0.83% or 16.10 to $1,933.10 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in May rose 0.11% or 0.11 to hit $100.39 a barrel, while the June Brent oil contract rose 0.42% or 0.44 to trade at $105.15 a barrel.
USD/INR was up 0.10% to 75.99, while EUR/INR rose 0.05% to 84.03.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.11% at 98.47.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or