India shares higher at close of trade; Nifty 50 up 1.37%
Investing.com – India equities were higher at the close on Thursday, as gains in the Power , IT and Technology sectors propelled shares higher.
At the close in NSE, the Nifty 50 added 1.37%, while the BSE Sensex 30 index gained 1.35%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Nifty 50 were Adani Ports and Special Economic Zone Ltd (NS: APSE ), which rose 4.40% or 31.15 points to trade at 739.10 at the close. Housing Development Finance Corporation Ltd (NS: HDFC ) added 3.85% or 104.15 points to end at 2807.80 and Power Grid Corporation of India Ltd (NS: PGRD ) was up 3.52% or 7.30 points to 214.50 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Cipla Ltd. (NS: CIPL ), which lost 0.74% or 6.90 points to trade at 921.25 in late trade. ICICI Bank Ltd (NS: ICBK ) declined 0.73% or 5.30 points to end at 722.40 and AXIS Bank Ltd (NS: AXBK ) shed 0.52% or 3.50 points to 676.10.
The top performers on the BSE Sensex 30 were Housing Development Finance Corporation Ltd (BO: HDFC ) which rose 3.92% to 2809.15, Power Grid Corporation of India Ltd (BO: PGRD ) which was up 3.65% to settle at 214.65 and Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. (BO: SUN ) which gained 3.11% to close at 768.55.
The worst performers were ICICI Bank Ltd (BO: ICBK ) which was down 0.78% to 722.55 in late trade, AXIS Bank Ltd. (BO: AXBK ) which lost 0.55% to settle at 676.05 and UltraTech Cement Ltd (BO: ULTC ) which was down 0.03% to 7322.25 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1288 to 476 and 46 ended unchanged; on the Bombay Stock Exchange, 2111 rose and 1042 declined, while 143 ended unchanged on the India National Stock Exchange.
The India VIX , which measures the implied volatility of Nifty 50 options, was down 6.99% to 18.0875.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was down 0.54% or 9.65 to $1774.65 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in January rose 2.06% or 1.35 to hit $66.92 a barrel, while the February Brent oil contract rose 1.99% or 1.37 to trade at $70.24 a barrel.
USD/INR was down 0.02% to 74.990, while EUR/INR rose 0.07% to 84.9555.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.06% at 95.970.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or