India shares lower at close of trade; Nifty 50 down 0.11%
Investing.com – India equities were lower at the close on Wednesday, as losses in the Metals , Public Sector Undertakings and Power sectors propelled shares lower.
At the close in NSE, the Nifty 50 lost 0.11%, while the BSE Sensex 30 index fell 0.16%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Nifty 50 were Eicher Motors Ltd. (NS: EICH ), which rose 3.30% or 81.85 points to trade at 2562.25 at the close. Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. (NS: SUN ) added 2.91% or 23.70 points to end at 838.80 and Bajaj Auto Ltd (NS: BAJA ) was up 2.72% or 86.45 points to 3262.50 in late trade.
Biggest losers included ITC Ltd (NS: ITC ), which lost 1.50% or 3.30 points to trade at 216.75 in late trade. State Bank Of India (NS: SBI ) declined 1.47% or 6.80 points to end at 454.40 and Coal India Ltd (NS: COAL ) shed 1.41% or 2.10 points to 146.75.
The top performers on the BSE Sensex 30 were Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. (BO: SUN ) which rose 2.86% to 838.30, IndusInd Bank Ltd. (BO: INBK ) which was up 1.99% to settle at 869.65 and Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories Ltd (BO: REDY ) which gained 1.66% to close at 4822.00.
The worst performers were State Bank Of India (BO: SBI ) which was down 1.45% to 454.25 in late trade, ITC Ltd (BO: ITC ) which lost 1.43% to settle at 216.80 and Tech Mahindra Ltd (BO: TEML ) which was down 1.09% to 1786.65 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 982 to 807 and 29 ended unchanged; on the Bombay Stock Exchange, 2001 rose and 1274 declined, while 92 ended unchanged on the India National Stock Exchange.
The India VIX , which measures the implied volatility of Nifty 50 options, was down 1.41% to 16.2425.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was down 0.78% or 14.10 to $1796.80 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in February fell 0.08% or 0.06 to hit $75.92 a barrel, while the March Brent oil contract rose 0.15% or 0.12 to trade at $78.79 a barrel.
USD/INR was up 0.02% to 74.716, while EUR/INR fell 0.16% to 84.3395.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.11% at 96.312.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or