The biggest gainers of the session on the Nifty 50 were JSW Steel Ltd (NS: JSTL ), which rose 3.31% or 18.25 points to trade at 569.50 at the close. Coal India Ltd (NS: COAL ) added 1.63% or 3.15 points to end at 196.05 and HDFC Life Insurance Company Ltd (NS: HDFL ) was up 1.37% or 8.20 points to 607.15 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Bajaj Auto Ltd (NS: BAJA ), which lost 3.73% or 144.00 points to trade at 3,720.10 in late trade. Apollo Hospitals Enterprises Ltd. (NS: APLH ) declined 3.53% or 140.30 points to end at 3,839.00 and Tech Mahindra Ltd (NS: TEML ) shed 2.85% or 33.65 points to 1,146.60.
The top performers on the BSE Sensex 30 were Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd. (BO: MAHM ) which rose 1.32% to 1,047.50, Housing Development Finance Corporation Ltd (BO: HDFC ) which was up 0.94% to settle at 2,328.85 and Kotak Mahindra Bank Ltd. (BO: KTKM ) which gained 0.90% to close at 1,870.80.
The worst performers were Nestle India Ltd (BO: NEST ) which was down 2.99% to 17,238.50 in late trade, Tech Mahindra Ltd (BO: TEML ) which lost 2.86% to settle at 1,147.05 and Bajaj Finserv Ltd (BO: BJFS ) which was down 2.63% to 12,575.00 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1025 to 812 and 47 ended unchanged; on the Bombay Stock Exchange, 1798 rose and 1423 declined, while 125 ended unchanged on the India National Stock Exchange.
The India VIX , which measures the implied volatility of Nifty 50 options, was up 1.79% to 20.84.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was down 0.73% or 13.50 to $1,834.90 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in July rose 0.80% or 0.92 to hit $115.59 a barrel, while the August Brent oil contract rose 1.09% or 1.26 to trade at $116.86 a barrel.
USD/INR was down 0.13% to 77.53, while EUR/INR fell 0.25% to 83.05.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.25% at 102.02.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.