India shares lower at close of trade; Nifty 50 down 0.53%
Investing.com – India equities were lower at the close on Tuesday, as losses in the Banking , Carbon and Real Estate sectors propelled shares lower.
At the close in NSE, the Nifty 50 declined 0.53%, while the BSE Sensex 30 index fell 0.72%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Nifty 50 were Adani Ports and Special Economic Zone Ltd (NS: APSE ), which rose 3.60% or 29.50 points to trade at 848.05 at the close. NTPC Ltd (NS: NTPC ) added 3.33% or 4.80 points to end at 149.10 and Tata Motors Ltd (NS: TAMO ) was up 2.53% or 11.30 points to 458.05 in late trade.
Biggest losers included HDFC Bank Ltd (NS: HDBK ), which lost 2.93% or 48.55 points to trade at 1,608.25 in late trade. Bajaj Finserv Ltd (NS: BJFS ) declined 2.20% or 377.50 points to end at 16,818.85 and Kotak Mahindra Bank Ltd. (NS: KTKM ) shed 2.13% or 39.05 points to 1,797.00.
The top performers on the BSE Sensex 30 were NTPC Ltd (BO: NTPC ) which rose 3.40% to 149.15, Power Grid Corporation of India Ltd (BO: PGRD ) which was up 2.48% to settle at 233.05 and ITC Ltd (BO: ITC ) which gained 1.63% to close at 259.50.
The worst performers were HDFC Bank Ltd (BO: HDBK ) which was down 2.98% to 1,607.15 in late trade, Bajaj Finserv Ltd (BO: BJFS ) which lost 2.14% to settle at 16,818.85 and Housing Development Finance Corporation Ltd (BO: HDFC ) which was down 2.12% to 2,622.00 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1296 to 529 and 27 ended unchanged; on the Bombay Stock Exchange, 2286 rose and 1006 declined, while 96 ended unchanged on the India National Stock Exchange.
The India VIX , which measures the implied volatility of Nifty 50 options, was up 3.24% to 18.49.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was down 0.32% or 6.25 to $1,927.75 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in May rose 1.05% or 1.08 to hit $104.36 a barrel, while the June Brent oil contract rose 0.87% or 0.94 to trade at $108.47 a barrel.
USD/INR was down 0.13% to 75.35, while EUR/INR fell 0.22% to 82.57.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.06% at 99.04.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or