India shares lower at close of trade; Nifty 50 down 0.94%
Investing.com – India equities were lower at the close on Thursday, as losses in the Oil & Gas , Consumer Durables and Power sectors propelled shares lower.
At the close in NSE, the Nifty 50 lost 0.94%, while the BSE Sensex 30 index fell 0.97%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Nifty 50 were AXIS Bank Ltd (NS: AXBK ), which rose 2.38% or 18.40 points to trade at 792.10 at the close. Divi's Laboratories Ltd. (NS: DIVI ) added 1.40% or 61.55 points to end at 4,448.45 and Hindustan Unilever Ltd. (NS: HLL ) was up 1.06% or 22.75 points to 2,164.80 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Adani Ports and Special Economic Zone Ltd (NS: APSE ), which lost 3.82% or 32.45 points to trade at 817.40 in late trade. Titan Company Ltd (NS: TITN ) declined 3.22% or 81.70 points to end at 2,458.35 and Housing Development Finance Corporation Ltd (NS: HDFC ) shed 2.89% or 73.35 points to 2,462.70.
The top performers on the BSE Sensex 30 were AXIS Bank Ltd. (BO: AXBK ) which rose 2.38% to 792.05, ICICI Bank Ltd (BO: ICBK ) which was up 1.12% to settle at 749.05 and Hindustan Unilever Ltd. (BO: HLL ) which gained 1.09% to close at 2,165.15.
The worst performers were Titan Company Ltd (BO: TITN ) which was down 3.24% to 2,458.95 in late trade, Housing Development Finance Corporation Ltd (BO: HDFC ) which lost 2.91% to settle at 2,462.65 and HDFC Bank Ltd (BO: HDBK ) which was down 2.19% to 1,516.90 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1018 to 805 and 36 ended unchanged; on the Bombay Stock Exchange, 1664 rose and 1631 declined, while 103 ended unchanged on the India National Stock Exchange.
The India VIX , which measures the implied volatility of Nifty 50 options, was down 0.13% to 19.00.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was up 0.23% or 4.50 to $1,927.60 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in May rose 1.66% or 1.60 to hit $97.83 a barrel, while the June Brent oil contract rose 1.70% or 1.72 to trade at $102.79 a barrel.
USD/INR was up 0.18% to 76.03, while EUR/INR rose 0.08% to 82.78.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.10% at 99.71.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or