The biggest gainers of the session on the Nifty 50 were Tata Consumer Products Ltd (NS: TACN ), which rose 3.69% or 26.65 points to trade at 748.90 at the close. Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd. (NS: MAHM ) added 2.42% or 18.00 points to end at 761.20 and Cipla Ltd. (NS: CIPL ) was up 2.04% or 21.35 points to 1,070.00 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Hindalco Industries Ltd. (NS: HALC ), which lost 5.26% or 31.05 points to trade at 559.75 in late trade. Oil And Natural Gas Corporation Ltd (NS: ONGC ) declined 4.89% or 8.40 points to end at 163.40 and Tata Steel Ltd (NS: TISC ) shed 4.88% or 63.25 points to 1,233.75.
The top performers on the BSE Sensex 30 were Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd. (BO: MAHM ) which rose 2.31% to 760.85, Maruti Suzuki India Ltd. (BO: MRTI ) which was up 1.40% to settle at 7,417.25 and Nestle India Ltd (BO: NEST ) which gained 0.82% to close at 17,519.60.
The worst performers were Tata Steel Ltd (BO: TISC ) which was down 4.89% to 1,233.65 in late trade, Kotak Mahindra Bank Ltd. (BO: KTKM ) which lost 3.11% to settle at 1,733.40 and Tech Mahindra Ltd (BO: TEML ) which was down 2.92% to 1,459.05 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1292 to 523 and 22 ended unchanged; on the Bombay Stock Exchange, 1956 fell and 1325 advanced, while 98 ended unchanged on the India National Stock Exchange.
The India VIX , which measures the implied volatility of Nifty 50 options, was up 4.10% to 26.73.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was down 1.39% or 27.35 to $1,933.45 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in April fell 5.48% or 5.65 to hit $97.36 a barrel, while the May Brent oil contract fell 5.37% or 5.74 to trade at $101.16 a barrel.
USD/INR was unchanged 0.01% to 76.53, while EUR/INR rose 0.76% to 84.25.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.28% at 98.75.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.