India shares lower at close of trade; Nifty 50 down 1.24%
Investing.com – India equities were lower at the close on Thursday, as losses in the IT , Technology and Real Estate sectors propelled shares lower.
At the close in NSE, the Nifty 50 lost 1.24%, while the BSE Sensex 30 index lost 1.29%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Nifty 50 were Hero MotoCorp Ltd (NS: HROM ), which rose 2.93% or 79.10 points to trade at 2781.50 at the close. Bajaj Auto Ltd (NS: BAJA ) added 2.44% or 86.10 points to end at 3621.10 and Divi's Laboratories Ltd. (NS: DIVI ) was up 1.01% or 42.80 points to 4262.45 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Housing Development Finance Corporation Ltd (NS: HDFC ), which lost 3.26% or 85.15 points to trade at 2527.80 in late trade. NTPC Ltd (NS: NTPC ) declined 3.19% or 4.50 points to end at 136.65 and Oil And Natural Gas Corporation Ltd (NS: ONGC ) shed 2.98% or 5.10 points to 166.20.
The top performers on the BSE Sensex 30 were ITC Ltd (BO: ITC ) which rose 1.14% to 234.30, Maruti Suzuki India Ltd. (BO: MRTI ) which was up 0.86% to settle at 8590.15 and Titan Company Ltd (BO: TITN ) which gained 0.46% to close at 2475.45.
The worst performers were Housing Development Finance Corporation Ltd (BO: HDFC ) which was down 3.23% to 2527.75 in late trade, NTPC Ltd (BO: NTPC ) which lost 3.05% to settle at 136.60 and Infosys Ltd (BO: INFY ) which was down 2.76% to 1738.70 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 971 to 841 and 22 ended unchanged; on the Bombay Stock Exchange, 1680 rose and 1572 declined, while 82 ended unchanged on the India National Stock Exchange.
The India VIX , which measures the implied volatility of Nifty 50 options, was up 2.73% to 19.1600.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was down 0.34% or 6.15 to $1804.15 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in March fell 1.48% or 1.31 to hit $86.95 a barrel, while the April Brent oil contract fell 1.36% or 1.22 to trade at $88.25 a barrel.
USD/INR was up 0.11% to 74.900, while EUR/INR fell 0.07% to 84.4790.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.28% at 96.207.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or