India shares lower at close of trade; Nifty 50 down 1.53%
Investing.com – India equities were lower at the close on Friday, as losses in the Auto , Metals and Consumer Durables sectors propelled shares lower.
At the close in NSE, the Nifty 50 declined 1.53% to hit a new 6-month low, while the BSE Sensex 30 index lost 1.40%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Nifty 50 were Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories Ltd (NS: REDY ), which rose 2.95% or 109.80 points to trade at 3,828.65 at the close. ITC Ltd (NS: ITC ) added 2.78% or 6.10 points to end at 225.50 and Tech Mahindra Ltd (NS: TEML ) was up 1.89% or 26.95 points to 1,453.60 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Titan Company Ltd (NS: TITN ), which lost 5.18% or 133.25 points to trade at 2,441.00 in late trade. Asian Paints Ltd. (NS: ASPN ) declined 4.66% or 133.75 points to end at 2,738.15 and Maruti Suzuki India Ltd. (NS: MRTI ) shed 4.58% or 348.25 points to 7,247.30.
The top performers on the BSE Sensex 30 were Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories Ltd (BO: REDY ) which rose 2.95% to 3,829.30, ITC Ltd (BO: ITC ) which was up 2.78% to settle at 225.45 and Tech Mahindra Ltd (BO: TEML ) which gained 1.84% to close at 1,453.60.
The worst performers were Titan Company Ltd (BO: TITN ) which was down 5.05% to 2,443.60 in late trade, Maruti Suzuki India Ltd. (BO: MRTI ) which lost 4.66% to settle at 7,244.35 and Asian Paints Ltd. (BO: ASPN ) which was down 4.61% to 2,738.95 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1358 to 447 and 35 ended unchanged; on the Bombay Stock Exchange, 2041 fell and 1211 advanced, while 99 ended unchanged on the India National Stock Exchange.
The India VIX , which measures the implied volatility of Nifty 50 options, was down 0.70% to 27.96.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was up 0.66% or 12.70 to $1,948.60 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in April rose 2.02% or 2.17 to hit $109.84 a barrel, while the May Brent oil contract rose 1.57% or 1.73 to trade at $112.19 a barrel.
USD/INR was up 0.37% to 76.17, while EUR/INR fell 0.26% to 83.80.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.34% at 98.12.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or