The biggest gainers of the session on the Nifty 50 were Cipla Ltd. (NS: CIPL ), which rose 2.84% or 24.65 points to trade at 892.10 at the close. Oil And Natural Gas Corporation Ltd (NS: ONGC ) added 0.82% or 1.35 points to end at 165.00 and IndusInd Bank Ltd. (NS: INBK ) was down 0.33% or 2.85 points to 851.25 in late trade.
Biggest losers included JSW Steel Ltd (NS: JSTL ), which lost 6.67% or 44.45 points to trade at 621.80 in late trade. Tata Steel Ltd (NS: TISC ) declined 6.03% or 70.50 points to end at 1099.20 and Bajaj Finance Ltd (NS: BJFN ) shed 5.99% or 442.00 points to 6931.75.
The top performers on the BSE Sensex 30 were IndusInd Bank Ltd. (BO: INBK ) which fell 0.48% to 849.85, Power Grid Corporation of India Ltd (BO: PGRD ) which was down 0.49% to settle at 213.90 and Bharti Airtel Ltd (BO: BRTI ) which lost 0.78% to close at 689.60.
The worst performers were Tata Steel Ltd (BO: TISC ) which was down 5.98% to 1099.15 in late trade, Bajaj Finance Ltd (BO: BJFN ) which lost 5.97% to settle at 6932.75 and Wipro Ltd (BO: WIPR ) which was down 5.35% to 572.85 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1750 to 121 and 18 ended unchanged; on the Bombay Stock Exchange, 2983 fell and 503 advanced, while 121 ended unchanged on the India National Stock Exchange.
The India VIX , which measures the implied volatility of Nifty 50 options, was up 20.85% to 22.8250 a new 6-month high.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was up 0.35% or 6.40 to $1838.20 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in March fell 0.23% or 0.20 to hit $84.94 a barrel, while the April Brent oil contract fell 0.11% or 0.10 to trade at $86.98 a barrel.
USD/INR was up 0.26% to 74.613, while EUR/INR fell 0.01% to 84.3450.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.35% at 95.968.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.