South Africa must inspire its youth with the passion and confidence to pursue studies and careers in science, technology, engineering, arts, mathematics, and innovation (STEAM) subjects to fuel growth and create a brighter future. Central to this goal is addressing the misconception that these subjects are difficult to excel in and build a career.
According to Ntokozo Gcabashe, Senior Vice President of Operations at Natref refinery, who spoke at Sasol (JO: SOLJ ) TechnoX 2023, a premier STEAMI career exhibition, learners who persevere in these subjects can forge successful careers. TechnoX aims to bring STEAMI to life through interactive talks, sparking interest in STEAMI careers among the youth.
“In a world marked by complexity, hyper-connectivity, and rapid technological advancements, equipping young people with adaptable skills is vital,” stated Gcabashe. “Our commitment involves nurturing holistic growth, unlocking potential, and shaping a future that prioritizes individuals, communities, and the planet.”
Gcabashe highlighted unprecedented challenges in the face of globalization and rapid technological shifts, which also offer abundant opportunities. Tapping into Africa’s youthful population of 200 million holds the key to overcoming these challenges and embracing these opportunities. Gcabashe emphasized the importance of not only STEMI but also problem-solving, critical thinking, arts, and innovation in the 21st-century skillset.
TechnoX’s positive impact on communities is evident through increased interest and performance in STEMI subjects in our regions of operation. Our interventions through the Sasol Foundation strive to make a meaningful difference in all our operational areas.
Buti Manamela, Deputy Minister of Higher Education, Science, and Technology, highlighted the power of STEAMI disciplines to shape the world and encouraged learners to pursue courses that advance South Africa. He commended Sasol for empowering youth with information to make career choices aligned with the country’s needs.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.