By Dhirendra Tripathi
Investing.com – Intuitive Surgical stock (NASDAQ: ISRG ) slipped 5% Friday as the healthcare company said Covid resurgences have put pressure on the number of procedures using its da Vinci robotic surgical system.
The company warned that the pandemic impact could continue to linger and affect procedure volumes even as its fourth-quarter earnings and revenue beat estimates.
The da Vinci surgical systems are designed to help surgeons perform minimally invasive surgery. The systems offer surgeons high-definition 3D vision, a magnified view, and robotic and computer assistance, helping them perform precise dissection and reconstruction deep inside the body.
While the number of procedures using da Vinci systems remain under pressure, the company said it shipped 385 of them, an increase of 18% year-on-year. It closed the year with an installed base of such systems at 6,730.
Fourth-quarter revenue rose 17% to $1.6 billion, driven by growth in da Vinci procedure volume and system placements.
Net profit for the quarter came in at $477 million, or $1.3 per share, compared with $434 million, or $1.19 per share in the same period a year ago.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.