By Stanley White
TOKYO, Jan 8 (Reuters) - Japanese shares tumbled on Wednesday by the most in almost a year after Iran launched missile attacks on U.S. forces in Iraq, increasing the risk of a broader conflict in the Middle East ensnaring the United States and its allies.
At 0120 GMT the Nikkei index was down 2.34% at 23,024.98, on course for its biggest one-day percentage decline since March 2019. The index broke below the psychologically important 23,000 mark for the first time since November.
Iran launched a missile attack on U.S.-led forces in Iraq, hours after the funeral on Tuesday of Iranian commander whose killing in a U.S. drone strike has raised fears of a wider war in the Middle East. fired more than a dozen ballistic missiles from Iranian territory against at least two Iraqi military bases hosting U.S.-led coalition personnel, the U.S. military said on Tuesday.
Iran's Revolutionary Guards confirmed that they fired the rockets in retaliation for last week's killing of Qassem Soleimani, according to state TV.
"Investors are unwinding long positions built up last year," said Kiyoshi Ishigane, chief fund manager at Mitsubishi UFJ Kokusai Asset Management Co in Tokyo.
"There is concern about what comes next in the Middle East. Another concern is oil prices will skyrocket at a time when Japan's manufacturing sector is weak, which is a negative for the corporate sector."
There were 222 decliners on the Nikkei index against 2 advancers on Wednesday.
The largest percentage losses in the index were maritime shipper Kawasaki Kisen Kaisha Ltd 9107.T down 5.14%, followed by chemicals maker Tosoh Corp 4042.T losing 4.77% and medical device maker Olympus Corp 7733.T down by 4.39%.
U.S. crude CLc1 surged by 4.08% to $65.28 a barrel after the Iranian attacks, which could raise costs for end users but could boost earnings for producers and refiners.
The broader Topix index .TOPX fell 2.32% to 1,685.47, also the biggest percentage decline since March last year.
The volume of shares traded on the Tokyo Stock Exchange's main board .TOPX was 0.51 billion, compared to the average of 1.11 billion in the past 30 days.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.