(For a Reuters live blog on U.S., UK and European stock markets, click LIVE/ or type LIVE/ in a news window)
* FTSE 100 flat, FTSE 250 flat
Jan 12 (Reuters) - British shares traded flat on Tuesday as a set of positive earnings updates helped boost confidence in the economy's recovery, while investor worries over climbing coronavirus cases weighed on sentiment.
The home improvement retailer rose 3.4% after reporting strong trade across its markets with fourth-quarter to Jan. 9 underlying sales up 16.9%. retailer The Hut Group THG.L gained 3.1% after it raised 2021 revenue forecast by 10%, underpinned by its acquisition of Dermstore.com and a surge in online demand for its beauty products. gains were capped on Finance Minister Rishi Sunak's warning on Monday that Britain's economy would get worse before it got better, with the country now in its third national lockdown and as it struggles to contain the spread of COVID-19.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.