Luxury stocks rise as China marginally eases some COVID-19 restrictions
By Scott Kanowsky
Investing.com -- Shares in European luxury firms moved higher after China said that it will slightly relax some of its COVID-19 rules for overseas travelers and close contacts to infected cases.
Companies known for their high-end brands popular with Chinese shoppers, including Burberry Group PLC (LON: BRBY ), Kering SA (EPA: PRTP ), LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton SE (EPA: LVMH ), and Hermes International SCA (EPA: HRMS ), saw their stock prices are all in the green in the wake of the announcement.
Meanwhile, Switzerland's Compagnie Financière Richemont (JO: CFRJ ) S.A. (SIX: CFR ), which also posted better-than-expected sales and profit in its latest results despite COVID-induced sluggishness in Chinese demand on Friday, was trading near the top of the pan-European STOXX 600 .
The move by Beijing marks the first easing of China's ongoing zero-COVID strategy since President Xi Jinping was reaffirmed as party leader for a third term last month.
Under the new policy, passengers arriving in the country, as well as people who have been in close contact with a COVID case, will have their mandatory quarantines shortened by two days.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or