TD Cowen started Microstrategy, Inc. (NASDAQ: MSTR ) at Outperform with a $520 price target in a note to clients on Wednesday.
Analysts said the rating is based on the company's exposure to Bitcoin and the potential BI software upside.
"According to Gartner, enterprise spending in the cloud is expected to grow at a 20% CAGR through FY25E. The explosive growth in IoT, AI, and machine learning necessitates the transition to the cloud, making this market opportunity highly attractive, in our view," the analysts wrote.
"MicroStrategy's flagship BI platform is optimized for both on-premises and cloud deployments, and we expect recurring revenue as a percent of total revenue (currently 67%) will continue to grow going forward."
TD Cowen believes MicroStrategy represents a "new kind of firm, which generates dollar-based cash flow from enterprise software and cloud services but then converts its excess cash flow – on an effectively leveraged basis – into Bitcoin."
As a result, they believe "MSTR is the best way for institutions to acquire exposure to Bitcoin."
"While investors may ultimately be able to buy bitcoin outright or through potential Bitcoin ETFs, network and management fees can erode returns. We view MSTR as superior with respect to simplified custody, liquidity, exposure to derivatives, downside protection, operating leverage, and financial leverage," the analysts explained.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.