By Sam Boughedda
Investing.com -- Biotechnology giant Moderna Inc (NASDAQ: MRNA ) and Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc (NYSE: TMO ), the American supplier of scientific goods and services, announced a 15-year strategic collaboration on Wednesday.
The deal will enable large-scale manufacturing in the U.S. of Spikevax, Moderna’s Covid-19 vaccine, and other investigational mRNA medicines in Moderna's pipeline.
For several years, the companies have been working together with Thermo Fisher supporting Moderna's development pipeline with clinical research and contract manufacturing services.
However, the new, expanded deal will see Thermo Fisher provide dedicated capacity for various services. In addition, they will provide inspection, labeling and final packaging services.
“In expanding our strategic partnership, Moderna will further leverage our scale and depth of capabilities to continue to transform its mRNA platform and bring new breakthrough medicines to patients around the world," commented Michel Lagarde, executive vice president and COO of Thermo Fisher.
Moderna shares are down over 6% Wednesday, while after an initial rise, Thermo Fisher is now flat on the day.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.