By Sam Boughedda
However, he cut the price target of WMG to $34 from $37 per share and Spotify to $140 from $170 per share.
The analyst said he sees accelerating growth in key financial metrics for both companies in 2023 as WMG exits some transitory pressures and Spotify begins to show gross margin expansion.
"We continue to forecast double-digit streaming music industry revenue growth for years to come, even in a slowing economy. This is fueled primarily by continued user growth given global smartphone penetration remains below 15%, although we see opportunities for modest ARPU growth as well," the analyst explained.
On WMG, he explained that it has "lagged the market (1,800 bp) and its primary peer, UMG (AS: UMG ) (2,300), YTD, primarily on de-rating, creating a more attractive risk/reward."
Adding: "The multiple streaming revenue headwinds the company has absorbed in FY22 should fade and we expect the business to accelerate in FY23."
On Spotify, the analyst argued that they find the company's 3-5 year guidance from its recent investor day to be ambitious and not priced into estimates or valuation. "We attempt to capture this ambitious revenue and margin outlook to our $225 bull case. Spotify's growth and margin success will be increasingly dependent on success outside of subscription streaming music, including podcasting, audiobooks, live entertainment, video, and more."
"Our updated MS Global Music Forecast sees a modestly more conservative streaming forecast (~13% over the next decade), although our expectation for Spotify's share has inched up and sustaining 30%+ over time, while we assume WMG holds its share of wholesale revenues," concluded the analyst.
Spotify closed Monday's session down over 1%, while WMG closed 2.6% higher.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.