Bitcoin plunged as much as 15%, sinking to as low as $46,045, before trimming the decline, after Musk said he was worried over the “rapidly increasing use of fossil fuels for Bitcoin mining and transactions,” and suspended Tesla purchases with the asset, indicating he might favor other cryptocurrencies with much lower energy usage.
Coinbase Global Inc (NASDAQ: COIN ), the operator of the largest U.S. cryptocurrency exchange, fell 5.6% in U.S. premarket trading on low volume ahead of an earnings report due Thursday. Digital asset technology company Marathon Digital Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: MARA ) fell 13%, as did peer Riot Blockchain (NASDAQ: RIOT ). Microstrategy (NASDAQ: MSTR ), which has put billions of dollars of its assets into Bitcoin, plunged 9.2% after market Wednesday, while Jack Dorsey’s Square Inc (NYSE: SQ ) also slipped.
In Asia, Monex Group Inc (T: 8698 ), whose ownership of crypto exchange Coincheck Inc. had made it the second-best performing stock in Japan in 2021, dropped 11%. Nexon Co. (T: 3659 ), which just last month became the first Japanese firm to make a significant bet with a $100 million purchase of the cryptocurrency, slumped 14%, the most since August 2019, though a poor growth outlook given at its earnings also weighed on sentiment.
Tesla’s own shares fell 1.8% in premarket trading, having already slumped about 30% since the company announced in February that it had invested $1.5 billion in Bitcoin and signaled an intent to begin accepting the cryptocurrency as a form of payment. After last year’s huge rally, the stock has suffered from lofty trader expectations despite posting a record quarterly profit last month.
Musk said in his post that Tesla wouldn’t be selling any Bitcoin and aimed to use it for transactions once mining shifted to a more sustainable energy. “We believe it has a promising future,” he wrote, “but this cannot come at great cost to the environment.”
That puts Musk at odds with ARK Investment Management LLC’s Cathie Wood, who last month shared research that she said would “debunk the myth that Bitcoin mining” is bad for the environment. Wood’s ARK Innovation ETF (NYSE: ARKK ), which has been having a miserable month and has Coinbase as its ninth-largest holding, fell 1.3% premarket.
Musk’s move is a step in the wrong direction for Bitcoin bulls as well as for stock investors betting on the digital currency. Tesla’s disclosure in February added legitimacy to the cryptocurrency. It was the most visible catalyst during this year’s rally in the digital currency. Bitcoin was down 7.6% to $50,356 at 10:09 a.m. U.K. time.
(Updates with latest share prices, context on Tesla.)
©2021 Bloomberg L.P.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Which crypto currency has a lead in beung favoured by musk ?Dogde perhaps?Like 0