Netflix (NASDAQ: NFLX ) is reportedly considering live-streaming on its platform. According to Deadline, the company confirmed that it is in the early stages of development for unscripted shows and stand-up specials.
As per Deadline, the live-streaming feature could open up the potential for unscripted shows which often air lives shows for big competitions to use the technology.
There is, however, no timeline for the rollout. On the other hand, one of Netflix’s biggest rivals Disyney+ aired a live showing of the Academy Awards in February, which was the first this streaming service has ever aired a live show.
If Netflix indeed rolls outs the feature, it will open an opportunity for live comedy shows to be aired as they are going for users who like stand-up comedy like ‘The Standups’, ‘The Degenerates’, and ‘Ellen DeGeneres: Relatable’.
The company also hinted that it might consider hosting live sports on its platform too after sharing that it lost a lot of subscribers than it has ever had in the last decade. It also shared that it is working to add a cheaper plan that will support ads to make sure that more users are subscribing to the platform instead of sharing a password on the same account, which is against Netflix’s terms and conditions.
The streaming service company said that users who share their passwords will be charged extra on their accounts. It added that it would add a new feature that allows up to two sub-accounts that will pay an amount less than that of the original price of the plans on its platform.
By Zintle Nkohla
Follow Zintle Nkohla on Twitter
Follow IT News Africa on Twitter
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.