Nike Q2 results top estimates despite drag from softer margins
By Yasin Ebrahim
Investing.com -- Nike reported Tuesday better-than-expected second-quarter results even as margins were dealt a blow from price cuts as the sportswear company makes strides to resize inventory.
Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ) shares gained 6.7% in after-hours trade following the report.
Nike reported earnings per share of $0.85 on revenue of $13.3 billion. Analysts polled by Investing.com anticipated EPS of $0.65 on revenue of $12.58B.
The 17% rise in revenue was underpinned by a 25% increase in Nike brand digital sales amid "strong growth across all geographies and channels," the company said.
Sales in North America were up 30% for Q2 year-on-year, while in China, an important market for the company, sales slipped 3%.
Gross margin, however, decreased 300 basis points to 42.9%, driven mainly by a step up in promotional activity to liquidate inventory, particularly in North America.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or