Norsk Hydro Shares Jump After Additional Dividend Plan Unveiled
By Scott Kanowsky
Investing.com -- Shares in Norsk Hydro ASA (OL: NHY ) surged to near the top of the pan-European STOXX 600 on Friday after the aluminum maker said it would unveil an additional cash dividend and a new share repurchase plan.
In its quarterly results, the company proposed giving an added NOK 3B dividend to shareholders for 2021 following a review of its capital structure and targets. Norsk Hydro will also roll out a share buyback program worth up to NOK 2B over the next 12 months.
The distribution still requires shareholder approval at the group's next extraordinary general meeting.
Adjusted quarterly income before interest, tax, depreciation and amortization also jumped by 76% compared to the previous period last year to NOK 11.59M. The company had estimated the figure to come in at NOK 11.6.
The Oslo-based firm saw a strong performance from its aluminum metal and extrusions divisions, which helped offset higher raw material costs and lower production volumes at its energy unit.
However, Norsk Hydro warned that the economic climate remains uncertain due to supply chain constraints, an uptick in energy prices, soaring inflation, and rising interest rates.
"Hydro is facing a new reality and the changes are happening faster than before," the company said, adding that it will aim to slash costs and focus on growing its renewables business to address these concerns.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or