By Dhirendra Tripathi
Investing.com – Novavax stock (NASDAQ: NVAX ) climbed more than 6% Tuesday as Takeda Pharmaceutical (NYSE: TAK ) said the Japanese government will purchase 150 million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine it will produce using the American company’s formula.
Japan's biggest drugmaker will make 250 million doses of the vaccine domestically and distribute it in early 2022, pending approval from regulators, according to a company statement today and previous announcements.
Novavax is licensing and transferring manufacturing technologies to enable Takeda to manufacture the vaccine, according to the statement.
Takeda is also distributing imported Moderna (NASDAQ: MRNA ) vaccines in Japan. It plans to import 50 million doses of those shots.
Almost two weeks ago, the discovery of fragments of stainless steel some batches led to the suspension of as many as 2.6 million doses of Moderna’s 'messenger RNA'-based vaccine in Japan. So far, three people have died in Japan after taking Moderna doses though the actual cause of the deaths is yet to be ascertained. The vaccines were found to be from the suspended batches.
The world’s third largest economy is battling its worst wave of the pandemic.
After a slow start, 58% of the population has now received at least one dose, according to a Reuters tracker.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.