PayPal Holdings, Inc. (PYPL) and KKR, a leading global investment firm, today announced the signing of an exclusive multi-year agreement for a €3 billion replenishing loan commitment under which private credit funds and accounts managed by KKR will purchase up to €40 billion of buy now, pay later (BNPL) loan receivables originated by PayPal in
While the concept of split installment payments for consumer purchases has been around for decades and online consumer financing has been a strategic offering of PayPal since 2008, BNPL has dramatically increased in popularity over the past several years. Since launching its first BNPL offering in 2020, PayPal has become an industry leader with its PayPal Pay Later products, issuing more than 200 million loans to over 30 million customers in eight markets around the world. In 2022, PayPal processed more than
"Buy now, pay later has become a major asset to PayPal's checkout experience, driving engagement, payment volume growth, and repeat use while delivering high-value customers to our merchants," said Gabrielle Rabinovitch, senior vice president, acting chief financial officer of PayPal. "Our collaboration with KKR will allow us to accelerate our PayPal Pay Later originations alongside market demand in
KKR is funding the transaction through its private credit funds and accounts.
"Having the ability to work exclusively with a scaled and high-quality strategic partner like PayPal is a testament to the strength and maturity of our Asset-Based Finance business," said
"We are thrilled to deepen our footprint in consumer finance through this transaction and to work with one of the leading players in this space," said Vaibhav Piplapure, a managing director at KKR. "We believe that PayPal Pay Later offers a differentiated experience that positions PayPal to capture additional share in this growing market."
Subject to certain conditions, this transaction is expected to close in the second half of 2023. Upon closing, PayPal expects this transaction to initially generate approximately
KKR Capital Markets structured and arranged the debt for the transaction. Morgan Stanley & Co. LLC acted as the financial and structuring advisor to PayPal. Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP, Pérez-Llorca, and Allen &
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.