Wall Street chatter says crude oil prices may be finally finding a bottom. That’s good news for energy stocks, which have been getting slammed amid oil’s lengthy downtrend. As prospects brighten for the energy patch, what stocks should you consider for your watch list - or even your portfolio?
We’ve narrowed it down to four VIP Pro Picks, which get the nod from not only InvestingPro’s sophisticated stock-picking tools, but Street analysts as well. And among these is oil-and-gas name Diamondback Energy (NASDAQ: FANG ).
Importantly, like all Pro Picks, this week’s selections have all been stamped with an InvestingPro financial health score of 2.75 or more out of 5, which for the last 7 years has indicated outperformance vs. the S&P 500 . That score indicates firm financials: top-notch earnings, cash flow, and growth vs. peers.
With an impressive overall health score of 3.08, Diamondback Energy outperforms the vast majority of peers on profit margins and its two- and five-year return on invested capital, as InvestingPro screeners reveal. And Diamondback vastly outstrips just about every other company in the sector when it comes to its revenue trend score - as well as its mighty cumulative earnings growth per share over the past three years.
You also get robust cash flow metrics with this company - a sky-high ratio of cash flow to current liabilities, and cash flow that comes in comfortably over its total debt. All that helps fund its dividend, which yields at an incredible 7.4%. Crucially, Diamondback’s forward price-to-earnings ratio is at a bargain basement 7.4x, and analysts consider it undervalued: Wall Street targets put upside at over 25% above the current stock price.
Put it all together, and Diamondback Energy looks particularly well positioned to run.
Want to see the full list of this month's Pro Picks poised to beat the market? Start a 7-day free trial to unlock must-have insights and data. And while you’re here, dig into InvestingPro’s wealth of tools and screeners to begin building a lucrative portfolio.
If you're already an InvestingPro subscriber, this week's full Pro Picks list is available here.
Data as of June 8, 2023.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.