The following company announcements, scheduled economic indicators, debt and currency market moves and political events may affect South African markets on Tuesday.
- No Events.
- Half Year 2020 Comair Ltd COMJ.J Earnings Release.
- Half Year 2020 Stellar Capital Partners Ltd SCPJ.J Earnings Release.
- Half Year 2020 Transpaco Ltd TPCJ.J Earnings Release.
- Half Year 2020 SilverBridge Holdings Ltd SVBJ.J Earnings Release.
- Full Year 2019 Visual International Holdings Ltd VISJ.J Earnings Release.
SOUTH AFRICAN MARKETS
South Africa's rand weakened on Monday, as ratings agency Moody's cut its forecast for the country's economic growth due to lacklustre private sector demand at home and power cuts.
Shares in the miner surged to a 3-1/2-year high, closing 5.89% firmer at 44.58 rand. Amplats and Sibanye topped the Johannesburg All-Share index .JALSH as well as the Top-40 index .JTOPI. .J ZAR/
Asian shares fell and Wall Street retreated from record highs on Tuesday after Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ) AAPL.O said it will not meet its revenue guidance for the March quarter as the coronavirus outbreak slowed production and weakened demand in China. MKTS/GLOB
Closed on Monday. .N
Gold rose to a two-week high on Tuesday, spurred by demand for safe-havens after iPhone maker Apple Inc's revenue warning underscored the financial fallout of the coronavirus epidemic in China. GOL/
For the top emerging markets news, double click on - - -
Some of the main stories out in the South African press:
- Carmakers rattled by free-for-all repair plan.
- ABInbev investor pocket 9.7 billion rand ($646 million) windfall.
- Amplats declares first special dividend since 2001.
- Fears mount over growing job layoffs. ($1 = 15.0193 rand)
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.