The following company announcements, scheduled economic indicators, debt and currency market moves and political events may affect South African markets on Tuesday.
- No major events.
- Full Year 2019 Brimstone Investment Corporation Ltd BRTJ.J Earnings Release.
- Half Year 2020 Growthpoint Properties Ltd GRTJ.J Earnings Release.
- Half Year 2020 Texton Property Fund Ltd TEXJ.J Earnings Release.
SOUTH AFRICAN MARKETS
South African stocks plunged to a more than four-year low on Monday, joining a global sell-off in riskier assets as oil prices collapsed more than 30%, hitting chemical and energy firm Sasol (JO: SOLJ ) SOLJ.J the hardest. .J ZAR/
Asian shares bounced and bond yields rose from historic lows on Tuesday as speculation of coordinated stimulus from global central banks and governments calmed panic selling. MKTS/GLOB
Wall Street suffered its biggest one-day loss since the 2008 financial crisis on Monday and recession worries loomed large as tumbling oil prices and ongoing coronavirus fears prompted investor panic on the anniversary of the U.S. stock market's longest-ever bull run. .N
Gold prices fell 1% on Tuesday, retreating from the last session's jump above the key $1,700 level, as hopes for global stimulus measures to cushion the economic impact of the coronavirus outbreak lifted riskier assets and the dollar. GOL/
For the top emerging markets news, double click on - - -
Some of the main stories out in the South African press:
- State nuclear agency Necsa struggling to pay salaries.
- Coronavirus outbreak hits local fishing firm AVI AVIJ.J .
- Pepkor PPHJ.J raises 1 billion rand in debt issue.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.