At the close in Sydney, the S&P/ASX 200 rose 0.02% to hit a new 5-year high.
The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P/ASX 200 were Breville Group Ltd (AX: BRG ), which rose 12.29% or 1.430 points to trade at 13.070 at the close. Bellamys Australia Ltd (AX: BAL ) added 7.25% or 0.660 points to end at 9.760 and Qbe Insurance Group Ltd (AX: QBE ) was up 6.96% or 0.710 points to 10.910 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Invocare Ltd (AX: IVC ), which lost 8.13% or 1.170 points to trade at 13.230 in late trade. Iluka Resources Ltd (AX: ILU ) declined 8.05% or 0.850 points to end at 9.710 and Mineral Resources Ltd (AX: MIN ) shed 7.21% or 1.080 points to 13.890.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 648 to 572 and 407 ended unchanged on the Sydney Stock Exchange.
The S&P/ASX 200 VIX , which measures the implied volatility of S&P/ASX 200 options, was up 2.20% to 11.506.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was down 0.03% or 0.30 to $1184.70 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in September rose 0.28% or 0.18 to hit $65.19 a barrel, while the October Brent oil contract rose 0.59% or 0.42 to trade at $71.18 a barrel.
AUD/USD was up 0.47% to 0.7273, while AUD/JPY rose 0.60% to 80.64.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.26% at 96.34.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.