Australia shares higher at close of trade; S&P/ASX 200 up 0.09%
Investing.com – Australia equities were higher at the close on Tuesday, as gains in the Metals & Mining , Resources and Materials sectors propelled shares higher.
At the close in Sydney, the S&P/ASX 200 gained 0.09% to hit a new 5-year high.
The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P/ASX 200 were Sims Metal Management Ltd (AX: SGM ), which rose 3.38% or 0.570 points to trade at 17.420 at the close. Galaxy Resources Ltd (AX: GXY ) added 3.04% or 0.130 points to end at 4.400 and Pilbara Minerals Ltd (AX: PLS ) was up 2.95% or 0.035 points to 1.220 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Sigma Pharmaceuticals Ltd (AX: SIG ), which lost 6.09% or 0.060 points to trade at 0.925 in late trade. Retail Food Group Ltd (AX: RFG ) declined 6.07% or 0.150 points to end at 2.320 and Australian Pharma Industries Ltd (AX: API ) shed 5.18% or 0.085 points to 1.555.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 674 to 551 and 403 ended unchanged on the Sydney Stock Exchange.
The S&P/ASX 200 VIX , which measures the implied volatility of S&P/ASX 200 options, was down 3.65% to 9.467.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was down 0.02% or 0.30 to $1320.10 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in February rose 0.71% or 0.44 to hit $62.17 a barrel, while the March Brent oil contract rose 0.56% or 0.38 to trade at $68.16 a barrel.
AUD/USD was up 0.15% to 0.7855, while AUD/JPY fell 0.26% to 88.47.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.07% at 92.02.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or