At the close in Sydney, the S&P/ASX 200 rose 0.18% to hit a new 1-month high.
The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P/ASX 200 were Pact Group Holdings Ltd (AX: PGH ), which rose 6.91% or 0.250 points to trade at 3.870 at the close. TPG Telecom Ltd (AX: TPM ) added 4.80% or 0.330 points to end at 7.200 and Ausdrill Ltd (AX: ASL ) was up 4.62% or 0.060 points to 1.360 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Sims Metal Management Ltd (AX: SGM ), which lost 16.07% or 1.760 points to trade at 9.190 in late trade. Afterpay Touch Group Ltd (AX: APT ) declined 5.28% or 0.850 points to end at 15.250 and St Barbara Ltd (AX: SBM ) shed 2.92% or 0.140 points to 4.660.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 586 to 526 and 352 ended unchanged on the Sydney Stock Exchange.
The S&P/ASX 200 VIX , which measures the implied volatility of S&P/ASX 200 options, was up 3.82% to 12.727.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was down 0.14% or 1.75 to $1280.85 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in March rose 0.22% or 0.12 to hit $54.16 a barrel, while the March Brent oil contract rose 0.16% or 0.10 to trade at $62.80 a barrel.
AUD/USD was up 0.03% to 0.7169, while AUD/JPY fell 0.07% to 78.55.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.07% at 95.930.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.