At the close in Sydney, the S&P/ASX 200 added 0.18% to hit a new 5-year high.
The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P/ASX 200 were Nanosonics Ltd (ASX: NAN ), which rose 6.71% or 0.310 points to trade at 4.930 at the close. Fortescue Metals Group Ltd (ASX: FMG ) added 5.52% or 0.460 points to end at 8.800 and Northern Star Resources Ltd (ASX: NST ) was up 5.51% or 0.550 points to 10.530 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Challenger Ltd (ASX: CGF ), which lost 6.46% or 0.450 points to trade at 6.520 in late trade. AMP Ltd (ASX: AMP ) declined 5.80% or 0.130 points to end at 2.110 and Ardent Leisure Ltd (ASX: ALG ) shed 5.80% or 0.065 points to 1.055.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 641 to 592 and 371 ended unchanged on the Sydney Stock Exchange.
The S&P/ASX 200 VIX , which measures the implied volatility of S&P/ASX 200 options, was down 2.44% to 13.546.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was up 1.05% or 14.05 to $1357.75 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in July fell 0.25% or 0.13 to hit $52.15 a barrel, while the August Brent oil contract rose 0.11% or 0.07 to trade at $61.38 a barrel.
AUD/USD was down 0.19% to 0.6900, while AUD/JPY fell 0.30% to 74.69.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.02% at 97.018.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.