Australia shares higher at close of trade; S&P/ASX 200 up 0.19%
Investing.com – Australia equities were higher at the close on Tuesday, as gains in the Metals & Mining , Resources and Materials sectors propelled shares higher.
At the close in Sydney, the S&P/ASX 200 rose 0.19%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P/ASX 200 were Fortescue Metals Group Ltd (AX: FMG ), which rose 6.43% or 0.460 points to trade at 7.610 at the close. Wisetech Global Ltd (AX: WTC ) added 4.86% or 1.070 points to end at 23.070 and Independence Group NL (AX: IGO ) was up 4.56% or 0.200 points to 4.590 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Graincorp Ltd (AX: GNC ), which lost 6.96% or 0.610 points to trade at 8.150 in late trade. NRW Holdings Ltd (AX: NWH ) declined 5.20% or 0.140 points to end at 2.550 and Mayne Pharma Group Ltd (AX: MYX ) shed 3.55% or 0.025 points to 0.680.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 578 to 550 and 407 ended unchanged on the Sydney Stock Exchange.
The S&P/ASX 200 VIX , which measures the implied volatility of S&P/ASX 200 options, was down 6.79% to 13.145.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was down 0.15% or 1.95 to $1281.85 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in June rose 0.19% or 0.12 to hit $62.37 a barrel, while the July Brent oil contract fell 0.10% or 0.07 to trade at $71.17 a barrel.
AUD/USD was up 0.62% to 0.7032, while AUD/JPY rose 0.58% to 77.86.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.06% at 97.213.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or