At the close in Sydney, the S&P/ASX 200 gained 0.38%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P/ASX 200 were Mcmillan Shakespeare Ltd (AX: MMS ), which rose 5.15% or 0.760 points to trade at 15.510 at the close. Whitehaven Coal Ltd (AX: WHC ) added 4.35% or 0.200 points to end at 4.800 and Bluescope Steel Ltd (AX: BSL ) was up 4.34% or 0.520 points to 12.500 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Galaxy Resources Ltd (AX: GXY ), which lost 6.25% or 0.140 points to trade at 2.100 in late trade. Northern Star Resources Ltd (AX: NST ) declined 5.41% or 0.470 points to end at 8.210 and Nine Entertainment Co Holdings Ltd (AX: NEC ) shed 4.73% or 0.07 points to 1.51.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 563 to 528 and 315 ended unchanged on the Sydney Stock Exchange.
The S&P/ASX 200 VIX , which measures the implied volatility of S&P/ASX 200 options, was down 9.29% to 12.508.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was down 0.26% or 3.35 to $1280.65 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in March fell 0.53% or 0.28 to hit $52.34 a barrel, while the March Brent oil contract fell 0.54% or 0.33 to trade at $60.81 a barrel.
AUD/USD was down 0.48% to 0.7107, while AUD/JPY fell 0.46% to 77.90.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.02% at 95.790.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.