At the close in Sydney, the S&P/ASX 200 gained 0.50% to hit a new 5-year high.
The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P/ASX 200 were Eclipx Group Ltd (ASX: ECX ), which rose 20.62% or 0.265 points to trade at 1.550 at the close. oOh!Media Ltd (ASX: OML ) added 8.95% or 0.350 points to end at 4.260 and Lynas Corporation Ltd (ASX: LYC ) was up 4.91% or 0.130 points to 2.780 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Speedcast International Ltd (ASX: SDA ), which lost 4.76% or 0.090 points to trade at 1.800 in late trade. Fortescue Metals Group Ltd (ASX: FMG ) declined 4.46% or 0.410 points to end at 8.790 and Cooper Energy Ltd (ASX: COE ) shed 2.73% or 0.015 points to 0.535.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 711 to 472 and 346 ended unchanged on the Sydney Stock Exchange.
The S&P/ASX 200 VIX , which measures the implied volatility of S&P/ASX 200 options, was down 2.50% to 10.275 a new 6-month low.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was down 0.34% or 4.85 to $1416.05 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in August fell 1.19% or 0.68 to hit $56.66 a barrel, while the September Brent oil contract fell 0.13% or 0.08 to trade at $63.22 a barrel.
AUD/USD was down 0.06% to 0.7015, while AUD/JPY rose 0.09% to 75.73.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.09% at 96.415.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.