At the close in Sydney, the S&P/ASX 200 added 0.58% to hit a new 5-year high.
The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P/ASX 200 were Magellan Financial Group Ltd (AX: MFG ), which rose 15.29% or 3.690 points to trade at 27.830 at the close. Crown Ltd (AX: CWN ) added 6.98% or 0.930 points to end at 14.250 and Sigma Pharmaceuticals Ltd (AX: SIG ) was up 6.57% or 0.033 points to 0.527 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Bellamys Australia Ltd (AX: BAL ), which lost 4.95% or 0.510 points to trade at 9.800 in late trade. AGL Energy Ltd (AX: AGL ) declined 4.27% or 0.940 points to end at 21.070 and Orora Ltd (AX: ORA ) shed 3.48% or 0.12 points to 3.46.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 669 to 549 and 370 ended unchanged on the Sydney Stock Exchange.
The S&P/ASX 200 VIX , which measures the implied volatility of S&P/ASX 200 options, was down 3.26% to 10.947 a new 1-month low.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was up 0.16% or 1.90 to $1222.90 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in September rose 0.13% or 0.09 to hit $67.03 a barrel, while the October Brent oil contract rose 0.28% or 0.20 to trade at $72.48 a barrel.
AUD/USD was up 0.17% to 0.7440, while AUD/JPY rose 0.18% to 82.57.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.02% at 94.97.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.