Australia shares higher at close of trade; S&P/ASX 200 up 0.82%
Investing.com – Australia equities were higher at the close on Friday, as gains in the Gold , Metals & Mining and Materials sectors propelled shares higher.
At the close in Sydney, the S&P/ASX 200 added 0.82%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P/ASX 200 were Nextdc Ltd (AX: NXT ), which rose 10.36% or 0.630 points to trade at 6.710 at the close. Mayne Pharma Group Ltd (AX: MYX ) added 10.00% or 0.070 points to end at 0.770 and Tassal Group Ltd (AX: TGR ) was up 7.97% or 0.290 points to 3.930 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Nanosonics Ltd (AX: NAN ), which lost 12.08% or 0.360 points to trade at 2.620 in late trade. Platinum Asset Management Ltd (AX: PTM ) declined 11.89% or 0.930 points to end at 6.890 and Southern Cross Media Group Ltd (AX: SXL ) shed 9.49% or 0.113 points to 1.073.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 795 to 459 and 327 ended unchanged on the Sydney Stock Exchange.
The S&P/ASX 200 VIX , which measures the implied volatility of S&P/ASX 200 options, was down 6.60% to 13.325.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was down 0.28% or 3.70 to $1329.00 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in April fell 0.08% or 0.05 to hit $62.72 a barrel, while the April Brent oil contract fell 0.14% or 0.09 to trade at $66.30 a barrel.
AUD/USD was down 0.31% to 0.7821, while AUD/JPY fell 0.11% to 83.67.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.23% at 89.87.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or