At the close in Sydney, the S&P/ASX 200 added 1.13% to hit a new 5-year high.
The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P/ASX 200 were Wisetech Global Ltd (AX: WTC ), which rose 5.30% or 0.845 points to trade at 16.775 at the close. Bellamys Australia Ltd (AX: BAL ) added 5.07% or 0.820 points to end at 17.000 and Galaxy Resources Ltd (AX: GXY ) was up 3.47% or 0.105 points to 3.135 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Telstra Corporation Ltd. (AX: TLS ), which lost 4.81% or 0.140 points to trade at 2.770 in late trade. Saracen Mineral Holdings Ltd (AX: SAR ) declined 4.26% or 0.095 points to end at 2.135 and Resolute Mining Ltd (AX: RSG ) shed 3.10% or 0.040 points to 1.250.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 680 to 553 and 407 ended unchanged on the Sydney Stock Exchange.
The S&P/ASX 200 VIX , which measures the implied volatility of S&P/ASX 200 options, was down 1.73% to 12.174.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was down 0.20% or 2.50 to $1276.10 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in August fell 0.70% or 0.46 to hit $65.23 a barrel, while the August Brent oil contract rose 0.39% or 0.29 to trade at $75.37 a barrel.
AUD/USD was up 0.20% to 0.7395, while AUD/JPY rose 0.30% to 81.48.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.10% at 94.74.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.