Australia shares higher at close of trade; S&P/ASX 200 up 0.03%
Investing.com – Australia equities were higher at the close on Friday, as gains in the Metals & Mining , Consumer Staples and Consumer Discretionary sectors propelled shares higher.
At the close in Sydney, the S&P/ASX 200 added 0.03%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P/ASX 200 were Whitehaven Coal Ltd (AX: WHC ), which rose 10.16% or 0.125 points to trade at 1.355 at the close. Bellamys Australia Ltd (AX: BAL ) added 6.08% or 0.630 points to end at 11.000 and South32 Ltd (AX: S32 ) was up 5.02% or 0.083 points to 1.728 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Regis Resources Ltd (AX: RRL ), which lost 2.51% or 0.100 points to trade at 3.880 in late trade. Primary Health Care Ltd (AX: PRY ) declined 2.30% or 0.090 points to end at 3.820 and Tabcorp Holdings Ltd (AX: TAH ) shed 2.05% or 0.090 points to 4.300.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 556 to 489 and 330 ended unchanged on the Sydney Stock Exchange.
The S&P/ASX 200 VIX , which measures the implied volatility of S&P/ASX 200 options, was down 2.67% to 18.034.
In commodities trading, Gold for August delivery was down 0.22% or 3.00 to $1359.10 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in August rose 0.75% or 0.34 to hit $45.48 a barrel, while the September Brent oil contract rose 0.88% or 0.41 to trade at $46.81 a barrel.
AUD/USD was up 0.07% to 0.7489, while AUD/JPY fell 0.28% to 75.20.
The US Dollar Index was down 0.22% at 96.12.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or