At the close in Sydney, the S&P/ASX 200 gained 0.22%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P/ASX 200 were South32 Ltd (AX: S32 ), which rose 4.39% or 0.073 points to trade at 1.722 at the close. Rea Group Ltd (AX: REA ) added 3.54% or 2.040 points to end at 59.640 and Growthpoint Properties Australia (AX: GOZ ) was up 2.91% or 0.095 points to 3.355 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Saracen Mineral Holdings Ltd (AX: SAR ), which lost 10.80% or 0.155 points to trade at 1.280 in late trade. Spotless Fp (AX: SPO ) declined 6.80% or 0.078 points to end at 1.062 and Regis Resources Ltd (AX: RRL ) shed 5.67% or 0.190 points to 3.160.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 530 to 481 and 366 ended unchanged on the Sydney Stock Exchange.
The S&P/ASX 200 VIX , which measures the implied volatility of S&P/ASX 200 options, was up 5.70% to 21.058.
In commodities trading, Gold for August delivery was down 0.55% or 7.00 to $1265.50 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in August rose 0.64% or 0.32 to hit $50.17 a barrel, while the August Brent oil contract rose 0.59% or 0.30 to trade at $50.92 a barrel.
AUD/USD was up 0.15% to 0.7462, while AUD/JPY fell 0.03% to 78.02.
The US Dollar Index was down 0.13% at 94.04.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.