At the close in Sydney, the S&P/ASX 200 gained 0.26%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P/ASX 200 were Fortescue Metals Group Ltd (AX: FMG ), which rose 5.65% or 0.350 points to trade at 6.540 at the close. Viva Energy Reit Ltd (AX: VVR ) added 5.02% or 0.110 points to end at 2.300 and Bega Cheese Ltd (AX: BGA ) was up 4.98% or 0.300 points to 6.330 in late trade.
Biggest losers included St Barbara Ltd (AX: SBM ), which lost 5.00% or 0.130 points to trade at 2.470 in late trade. Syrah Res F (AX: SYR ) declined 3.91% or 0.095 points to end at 2.335 and Orocobre Ltd (AX: ORE ) shed 3.24% or 0.090 points to 2.690.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 543 to 524 and 340 ended unchanged on the Sydney Stock Exchange.
The S&P/ASX 200 VIX , which measures the implied volatility of S&P/ASX 200 options, was up 3.36% to 9.620.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was down 0.05% or 0.55 to $1202.05 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in April rose 1.70% or 0.81 to hit $48.53 a barrel, while the May Brent oil contract rose 1.45% or 0.74 to trade at $51.66 a barrel.
AUD/USD was up 0.16% to 0.7572, while AUD/JPY rose 0.21% to 86.93.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.08% at 101.54.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.