Australia shares higher at close of trade; S&P/ASX 200 up 0.27%
Investing.com – Australia equities were higher at the close on Tuesday, as gains in the Gold , Financials and Metals & Mining sectors propelled shares higher.
At the close in Sydney, the S&P/ASX 200 gained 0.27%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P/ASX 200 were Resolute Mining Ltd (AX: RSG ), which rose 4.44% or 0.050 points to trade at 1.175 at the close. Western Areas Ltd (AX: WSA ) added 4.21% or 0.090 points to end at 2.230 and G8 Education Ltd (AX: GEM ) was up 4.13% or 0.140 points to 3.530 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Isentia Group Ltd (AX: ISD ), which lost 2.60% or 0.045 points to trade at 1.685 in late trade. Sims Metal Management Ltd (AX: SGM ) declined 2.38% or 0.325 points to end at 13.325 and Retail Food Group Ltd (AX: RFG ) shed 2.28% or 0.120 points to 5.150.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 597 to 453 and 384 ended unchanged on the Sydney Stock Exchange.
The S&P/ASX 200 VIX , which measures the implied volatility of S&P/ASX 200 options, was down 3.16% to 12.765.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was down 0.03% or 0.44 to $1267.66 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in July unchanged 0.00% or 0.00 to hit $49.80 a barrel, while the August Brent oil contract fell 0.32% or 0.17 to trade at $52.47 a barrel.
AUD/USD was down 0.01% to 0.7438, while AUD/JPY fell 0.34% to 82.50.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.34% at 97.66.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or