Australia shares higher at close of trade; S&P/ASX 200 up 0.36%
Investing.com – Australia equities were higher at the close on Monday, as gains in the IT , Telecoms Services and Consumer Discretionary sectors propelled shares higher.
At the close in Sydney, the S&P/ASX 200 rose 0.36%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P/ASX 200 were Sims Metal Management Ltd (AX: SGM ), which rose 4.77% or 0.735 points to trade at 16.155 at the close. Tassal Group Ltd (AX: TGR ) added 3.53% or 0.130 points to end at 3.810 and Qbe Insurance Group Ltd (AX: QBE ) was up 3.01% or 0.360 points to 12.310 in late trade.
Biggest losers included South32 Ltd (AX: S32 ), which lost 3.38% or 0.095 points to trade at 2.715 in late trade. Mantra Group Ltd (AX: MTR ) declined 2.46% or 0.075 points to end at 2.975 and Vocus Group Ltd (AX: VOC ) shed 2.27% or 0.080 points to 3.450.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 619 to 470 and 356 ended unchanged on the Sydney Stock Exchange.
The S&P/ASX 200 VIX , which measures the implied volatility of S&P/ASX 200 options, was down 6.79% to 14.337.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was up 0.06% or 0.77 to $1210.47 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in August rose 0.57% or 0.25 to hit $44.48 a barrel, while the September Brent oil contract rose 0.56% or 0.26 to trade at $46.97 a barrel.
AUD/USD was up 0.08% to 0.7608, while AUD/JPY rose 0.29% to 86.84.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.03% at 95.75.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or